We are so excited that you are interested in joining our ESL Team. This ministry is the pure definition of “team effort” and you are a vital part. There are over 400 church-based Mission to North America ESL programs across the United States, however Christ the King is one of only two programs in Oklahoma and both are just starting!
English as a Second Language meets a felt need by those who do not have English as a first language and need to function in our society. While there are many types of ESL programs across this country, ours stands out because our goal is to build relationships and share the good news of Jesus with the nations who have come to us. We are part of Mission to North America and their organized ESL ministry, directed by Nancy Booher.
What kind of volunteers do we need?
- Teachers- minimum of 2 for each level, which are:
- Classroom Assistants
- Perfect if you love people but may not have the time or freedom to do lesson planning consistently
- Childcare workers
- Snack coordinator
- Set-up/break-down for larger events
- Prayer warriors who will commit to praying each week and for students/teachers and their needs
What are the qualifications to teach?
- Love Jesus
- Speak English
That’s it to be qualified! No need to speak a second language as we only speak English in our classrooms. These classes are very interactive and don’t have a passive lecture format. You’ll have lively discussions and practice language vocabulary/skills through the use of multiple activities.
- Teachers must also:
- Attend a weekend training workshop
- Have approx. 1 – 3 hours outside of class to organize lessons. All curriculum is provided to you
- Commitment to teach/co-teach each week
- Attend team meetings (generally 2 per semester)
- All other Volunteers
- You do not have to attend the training but are welcome to come along (AND you’d already be set if you decide to teach!)
All training is provided at the mandatory 11-hour workshop.
- Texas holds several training events each year and we’ll post those as they are scheduled.
Click HERE or in the sidebar above to fill out the online registration form.
Contact Gail Straughn with questions or to get more information.